- 2 lbs new small red potatoes
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar (see note)
- 1/4 cup red onion, sliced
- 1 shallot or green onion, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/4 teaspoon each of fresh basil and oregano, minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 1/2 green pepper, cut into thin strips
Because this potato salad contains no mayonnaise, it's a safe bet for your next picnic or cook-out for those long hot Summer days. Be sure to taste and season well.
Scrub potatoes, removing eyes and discarding any green ones. Add 1 teaspoon salt to a medium saucepan of boiling water; gently lower potatoes into water and cook, with skins on until fork tender. Rinse briefly under cold water. Cut into quarters and return to hot pan.
Add olive oil and remaining ingredients. Stir for one minute over medium heat. Set aside to cool.May be served warm or cold.Note: 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar and 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar may be substituted for the 3 tablespoons wine vinegar for a more piquant blend. Add the garlic to the vinegar and let it sit for 30 minutes before preparation to help take the "edge" off. The potato salad recipe is ready to serve...enjoy !